Photo Transfer - The Documented Life Project Week 36





September Theme
Journaling with Photos
September 5th
Art Challenge: Photo Transfer
Journal Prompt:  From Here to There


Can I please just start off by saying, how much I loved doing this challenge! Every Saturday on my local PBS station there is a T.V. show called Scrapbook Soup, and on this show I had watched a segment of them doing a photo transfer using packing tape.  I never had tried this technique up until this weeks challenge.   It was pretty simple and turned out good on the first try. 


Steps for photo transfer:

1. Print an image using a laser printer. (The Image I used was from a 1960 Fashion photographer named Sir Norman Parkinson.)

2. layer strips of transparent packing tape over the printed image,*Be sure to overlap the tape. 


3. Take the image covered in tape and submerge it in a dish of water. The image was printed on a heavy card stock, and I soaked the image for about 1 minute.


4. Begin rubbing the paper off from the tape with your fingers, until all paper is gone


5. Voila! You will have a photo transfer.


After making my photo transfer I put down some "book text" tissue paper. For the background I used some of the Tim Holtz Distress paints, and a pop of pink liquid acrylic.  Martha Stewart, and Recollections flowers were used to embellish the bottom of the page, and to help fill in the gap at the bottom of the photo transfer. 



The quote used on my page went with the journal prompt "from here to there".  I wanted to print it out off  the computer, cut down the paper and layer in onto the page. 


I wanted to give the page some texture, so I used a Tim Holtz Stencil with some Ranger texture paste to get the raised ruler look at the bottom of the page. The page was still looking bare, so I sprayed a paper doily with some pink tattered angels spray mist, and gold Color spray from Heidi Swapp. I went around the quote and doily with a brown Faber-Castell Pitt Brush marker to help blend it all into the page, and give it some shadow. Calling this one done.

I love the look of doing this photo transfer method.  There are many other ways to do it out there but since I had already seen this technique done and it seemed to be the easiest I had to give it a try.  I can't wait to try this again on other projects and on other journal pages.  For someone who can't draw (like me) the photo transfer method takes your creating abilities to a new level! Thanks for visiting my page today, below I have posted my process video for making this weeks layout.  Please Like, Comment, and Share, I want to hear from you!  


Happy Crafting!
Krysal Barto




2 comments