Thrift Shop Upcycle: Craft storage for ink pads

Hello, and welcome to the Mixed Media Attic!  A few weeks ago I stopped in my local Thrift shop down the road and I came across a great find.  What someone in the 80's and early 90's would use as a cassette tape holder, I found use for it as ink storage, something I'm always needing as my crafting addiction grows. Today I would like to share with all of you, my latest upcycle. 






After getting this wooden storage unit home I wiped it off with some damp disinfecting wipes, followed by a damp towel.  I also stopped at my local Michaels Store and picked up a can of Krylon Color Master Spray Paint in "Blue Ocean Breeze for this project.  Since this is spray paint, I took this project out doors.  I set up an area and began spray painting the unit.  It took the whole can to really get into each of the compartments, and soak into the wood.     





I was very happy with the way it turned out, and it was relatively inexpensive compared to an ink storage units you see in the stores.  The ink pads fit perfectly in the slots too.  Now I just need to get more ink to fill it up with.  (wink... wink)


Thanks For stopping by and checking out my latest upcycle!  Be sure to check out your local thrift store.  You never know the hidden gems that you can find to take home and polish up!  

7 comments

  1. You did a great job with this...I have a stampin up one and it is extremely heavy...I will have to keep my eyes out for this!!! Thanks Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes keep an eye out. Thrift stores are a great place to look, and you save money making your own. Then you can buy more ink pads with all the savings :)

      Delete
  2. OH man, I love your creative idea and the new purpose of this unit!~ I am very into recycling and even if I have the money, prefer to find a more creative and less expensive way to accomplish my goals...Often even better than store bought! Love the shade of blue you chose too! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. This seems to be my new favorite color lately. Kudos to you for recycling, and yes I agree out creative projects can turn out better than store bought.

      Delete