The Documented Life Project 2015 : Week 23

June Theme
Travel Journaling
June 6
Art Challenge: Illustrative Art Journaling
Journal Prompt:  Take Me Away

Hello, and welcome to the Mixed Media Attic! Today I would like to share with you my Week 23 challenge for The Documented Life Project 2015.  If you are new to The Documented Life Project, and would like more info please go over to Art to the 5th 's website and check the ladies out there. This year I have been doing this challenge every week from California, and I got my mom to join me in Florida.  Its hard sometimes to find times coordinating so we can do them together, while we Skype.  Every week there is a new challenge that goes along with the "monthly theme".  For June the theme is "Travel Journaling".  I love to travel, and get away from reality!  I can remember as a child growing up going on vacation every summer.  The prompt this week "Take me away" got me thinking of leaving to go on a vacation... and not coming back.  Kidding! 


While at my local Tuesday Morning Store this weekend, I picked up quite a few craft supplies, among lots of other goodies.  If you have never been to a Tuesday Morning Store I highly recommend checking one out if you have one in your area.  They have adorable stuff for your home as well as a pretty good aisle full of crafting supplies with top name brands at low discounted prices.  I found this adorable wooden stamp by Stampendous with the quote "I would gladly live out of a suitcase if it meant I could see the world."  The moment I seen this stamp, I knew that it was going to be used for this weeks challenge.  The wheels in my head immediately began turning. My shopping cart filled up fast, coming across Heidi Swapp 'travel paper", Prima Wooden Tickets (one stamped with Bon Voyage), and 7 Gypsies "Global" chipboard alphabet.  It seemed like it was meant to be, that the theme for June being "Travel Journaling" and me finding all the travel themed goodies at a very deep discount.  


Supplies used for this weeks challenge:
Liquitex Matte Medium
Liquitex Basics White Acrylic Gesso
Heidi Swapp 12x12 Specialty Paper (HS00908)
Tim Holtz Distress Paint ( Brass, Vintage Photo, Broken China, Salty Oceans)
Adirondak Acrylic Paint Dabers (Sailboat Blue, Espresso)
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Tissue Wrap (Postale)
Ranger Archival Ink (Sepia)
Tim Holtz Distress Stain (Broken China)
Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Vintage Photo)
Faber-Castell Pitt Brush Marker ( Cobalt Blue, Nougat)
Prima Wood Tickets (554385)
Tim Holtz Rub ons
Tim Holtz Metal Embelishment (Journey)
Hello World Rub on's (Beauty)
7 Gypsies Chipboard Alphabet Letters (Global)
Amy Tangerine Tags
Stampendous Wooden Stamp
Tim Holtz Twine
White Card Stock
Xron Sticker Maker
Baby wipes


Here is the finished page for this weeks challenge "take me away"

Steps
  1. Began with ripping the Heidi Swapp paper in pieces and collaged them to the journal for the background, covering  the paper with matte medium.  
  2. Wet my large brush, squirted out some Gesso onto the page and made a light wash with the gesso and water over the page.  
  3. Put down the shades of blue paint, spread with a baby wipe. 
  4. Cut out pieces for The suitcase.  Crumbled up the tissue wrap for a "leather" texture. Painted the papers with shades of brown.  Applied the suitcase to the journal page with matte medium.
  5. Stamped journal tag, cut down the sides of the tag, and distressed the edges with ink. Tied piece of twine in hole of tag, then wrapped around the handle of the suitcase. 



    6.  Glued down the wooden ticket and round metal embellishment to the suitcase.  

    7.  Used Xron sticker maker to adhere chipboard letters to page.  



     8.  Outlined the letters and suitcase with Pitt Brush markers

     9.  Used Rub On's for a finishing touch.


Thanks for coming by and checking out my page for this week.  I had so much fun with this challenge that I even made a process video to watch.  Check it out below.  

Bon Voyage!!




No comments