At This Moment: Art Journaling DLP 2015 Week 30

The Documented Life Project 2015
July Theme:
Ephemera
Week 30: July 25th
Art Challenge: Real Life
Journal Prompt:  At this Moment

While creating this weeks spread I enjoyed a lovely hot cup of Tazo Zen Tea.  My cup of tea in "this moment", inspired me to do a layout featuring some kind of tea cup.  As the theme for July goes of using ephemera, I thought it would be fun to cut the sting and tag off of my tea bag and use it for the challenge. 

I first started with a sheet of white tissue paper, which I then used some different stamps and archival ink to stamp up the tissue paper to make my own background.  After putting the tissue paper down onto the journal using a matte medium, I then went on to apply my colors to the background until satisfied.  

Next I went over to my  Silhouette Machine and found a tea cup image that I liked and cut out.  Chose a 6x6 paper pad from the "Life time collection" by Prima. The paper from the pad chosen for the tea cup had phrases and words written all over, which I wanted to show through so I knew I would be going over it with any color.  I also used another sheet of paper from the same collection for the hearts that represent the steam coming out from the tea cup.


 I wanted to use some ephemera from my Ruby Rock it "Heritage" Die cut pack that I had left.  I choose to use some flag banners, flowers, a stack of tea cups, and a rounded frame that says "life is good".  Next I arranged the pieces on the page where I wanted them to sit, and glued them down with a matte medium.  


After every thing was dry I went around all the die cuts with a brown Faber-Castell Pitt brush marker and blended with my fingers as I was putting down the color before it had time to dry.  You do need to be quick if you want to blend these markers.

Tea Time was stamped at the bottom of the page with some Ranger Archival ink in  "Sepia"  and with tiny alpha wood stamps from the Michaels Dollar Bin.  

Last I added a little flag sticker to the side of the page that says "this makes me so happy"  Because well, tea just makes me really happy!


My original idea was going to use a heart stencil with some modeling paste and my plan didn't work out like I had thought in my head.  Before the modeling paste dried on the journal, I scraped off what I could and wiped with a damp baby wipe.  I like how it turned out after I added some more purple to the background. 


Doing the same thing as I did in brown, I also did in red to the hearts with a Faber-Castell Pitt bush marker.  

To add some shine and to make things pop I went and used Ranger's Glossy Accents to the hearts, the Tazo tag, and to the dark pink in the flowers.

While waiting for the glossy accents to dry, I trimmed the excess tissue paper from the edges of the page.  Next I took my Tim Holtz ink blending tool and some Distress ink, and distressed the sides of the pages.





Here is my finished pages for this weeks Documented Life Project weekly Challenge.


I hope you enjoyed tea time today.  Below is a YouTube Video that I have made of this weeks process of making my layout.  Be sure to check it out, and comment I would love to hear from you all. 


Until next time, Happy Crafting!
Krystal Barto



No comments