"Gypsy Heart" Mixed Media Canvas

Hello friends, and welcome! Today I want to share with you a little Mixed Media Canvas that I have just finished creating which I've decided to name "Gypsy Heart". 

gyp·sy
ˈjipsē/
a nomadic or free-spirited person. 

 Growing up as a child and into adulthood many times I remember being asked my nationality, and telling people that my family is Hungarian. I can recall many times when people would refer to me as being a gypsy because of my heritage. 
    
Supplies Used:
Bo Bunny craft decorative paper 2 pc (chevron and clocks)
Craft Smart acrylic paints (Robins Egg Blue, Light Pink)
Viva Inka Gold
Liquitex matte medium
White Gesso
Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pad (Vintage Photo)
The Crafters Workshop Stencil - (TCW202s Mini Harlequin)
Michaels flower embellishment (dreamy)
Weldbond glue
Xyron Sticker Maker
metal frame embellishment
Faber-Castell Small Pitt Brush Pen Brown
Scissors/Craft Knife
baby wipes
small paint brush
cosmetic sponge

First I covered the canvas with a piece of Bo Bunnys craft paper by applying matte medium to the canvas with a brush and laying the paper on top of the canvas, then brushing a layer of matte medium over the paper to help seal it to the canvas.



Next I took some white gesso and a damp baby wipe to the canvas to give it a white washed look.  This will help the paints blend better on top of the canvas. 

The same way that I applied the gesso with a damp baby wipe, I also applied the paints with a damp baby wipe putting down color and then pulling up some of the color with the wipes until reaching the colors I wanted.

After getting the color down on the canvas, I used one of the Crafters workshop stencils along with some Viva Inka-Gold and a cosmetic sponge to add some pops of gold harlequin to the background.

I wanted some of the print in the BoBunny craft paper to show thorough in the background.

 I took a piece of lace and ran it through my Xyron Sticker maker to get some adhesive onto the back of the lace, and then stuck it onto the top of the canvas.

After printing out some digital collage pieces from Lisa's Altered Art Shop on Etsy. I cut a few of them out to use on this canvas.  I took the strip of pink and blue harlequin paper and glued it down onto the canvas along with the woman that I though could resemble a gypsy.  

On Lisa's Altered Art Shop I also found some phrase collage sheets, and when I seen the words "gypsy heart" I knew I wanted to use it on this canvas. I applied it right on top of the strip of paper I had glued down. After it was all dry I went around each of the collage pieces with a brown Faber-Castell pitt brush pen and blended it with my finger before the ink could dry. 

Next I took a metal frame embellishment and glued it down around the phrase on to the canvas with some weldbond glue.  I also used the same glue to adhere the flower to the left side of the canvas. 

Last I went around the canvas with some Distress ink to give it a worn look on  the edges.    
Thanks for stopping by and seeing how I created this quick little canvas with some really fun digital collage pieces that were printed and cut out.

I have included a link below so you can check out the Etsy Shop where I have found some of my collage pieces. 

 Enjoy this Fleetwood Mac video of one of my favorite songs. "Gypsy" 

Happy Crafting,
Krystal




2 comments

  1. I love your work and how you show your steps, great job and I love your song choice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I thought the song was fitting :)

      Delete